Monday, June 9, 2014

Keep your eye on the ball

After the weekend baseball game, we were winding down and joking around about things. Every now and then I would weave in a serious question. This is the only way I know how to have meaningful conversation with a seven-year-old boy. You have talk about farts and video games, sometimes. At the right time, I said I noticed he was having trouble hitting the coach's pitches, and asked what he thought we should do to get better. I was not expecting his response. 

"Mom, I see that ball coming and I just close my eyes..."

After a good laugh, I reiterated the same cliché I've heard a million times. 

"You have to keep your eyes open! Keep your eyes on the ball."

 I threw a couple fake punches over his left shoulder and he practiced not flinching. It's going to take a lot more practice and whiffle balls to get this done. 

After correcting or advising my son, it always exposes my own shortcomings.
Stop worrying.
Try harder.
Don't say bad words. 
Keep your eye on the ball. 

Keep your eye on the ball. The pile of things I want to accomplish seems to keep growing meanwhile I'm busy just trying to keep up with my job, some dishes and laundry. It gets more and more difficult to focus on what's important. 

I think I just need to open my eyes.

2 comments:

  1. Those learning moments with kids can be such a challenge. Like you, I have often discovered that the child is not the only one who can learn something.

    I hope your family had a nice 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a good mom! I love that you "punched" at him :)

    ReplyDelete