Monday, January 20, 2014

Cincy Chili Challenge: Camp Washington Chili

When you grow up around Cincinnati, chili is part of your Diät. Chili is to Cincinnati as cheesesteak is to Philadelphia, and deep-dish pizza is to Chicago.
"Cincinnatians consume more than two million pounds of chili each year, topped by 850,000 pounds of shredded cheddar cheese." (Greater Cincinnati Convention and Visitor's Bureau) 

I've eaten my share, but always at the large chain brands of chili (Skyline or Gold Star Chili). This year, inspired in part by the more ambitious adventure 52 Breakfasts, I'm going to broaden my horizons and try some other local chili parlors.

Over the weekend my fiance indulged my curious spirit at Camp Washington Chili. The 70-year old restaurant has been featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and Man v. Food, but the walls of the 50s-style joint are literally covered in magazine covers and newspaper clippings collected throughout the decades. It's hard not to feel like you are trying something special!

I ordered my usual three-way (spaghetti topped with chili and cheese) but if I'm in the neighborhood again I'd like to try some of the tasty-looking sandwiches on their menu.

I have a short list of other chili joints to visit but please let me know if you have recommendations!

4 comments:

  1. I recommend that we come down for a visit and just stick with Skyline! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always skyline time! Come see me!

      Delete
  2. Wow that looks fantastic. Thanks for the reminder that I have not had chili in awhile--a wise thing to order and warm up with considering the lousy winter everyone is having.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter has but few benefits: boots, cuddling, and chili :) thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete