Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Half a lifetime ago


This is one of the few pictures of myself that I actually like. Can you see that smile on my face? It doesn't get bigger or happier than that. I was on top of the world...probably heading to King's Island. Hell, I might have just been going for gas.

Or oil... This beast burned through a quart per week. Looking back, the best thing about that 1987 Pulsar was the paint. Nevermind that the fifth gear was shot. I had my CD player velcroed to the dash, the wind in my hair and my best friend Mandy riding shotgun. What else do you need at age 16?

Freedom. I was a good kid. I didn't always make the right choices but I had a job, sports and I only skipped algebra (sometimes). Oh to be so carefree. "Youth is wasted on the young."

It's hard to avoid introspection while looking into the rearview. Would I--could I--change anything, having the present knowledge? What would then-me think of now-me?

I think the years have humbled me and hopefully I'm far less judemental than I was as a know-it-all teenager. Come to think of it, I know a lot more now. And I'm more self-assured than I was as an awkward teenager. I guess it's not so bad here in the mid-thirties.

I hope this post doesn't come off as terribly narcissistic. I'd love to hear about then-you vs. now-you if now-you would like to comment. Or, just tell me about your first car.

In 1997, I was going places

1 comment:

  1. My first car was an '87 Chevy Cavalier, nicknamed the Burnt Marshmallow (it was white with rust spots). My CD player was stolen out of it, so I used a cassette player/small boom box on my passenger seat. I loved it.

    I was just listening to a song on the radio this morning, and I thought about how I bet they play this at Theo's all the time now. And then I thought about how I was always so self conscious to dance at Theo's, but now I would not care. I am grateful for the self confidence that I have gained over the years!!

    PS- We are in our early 30s, not mid!

    ReplyDelete