Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Running and Writing in 2013

Let's kill two birds with one stone. My goals for 2013 are exercise and write more. To accomplish the second part, I'll be using writing prompts provided at The One-Minute Writer.

Today's prompt asks "What's the most fun you've ever had while exercising?"

I've written four sentences and I'm already being interrupted because someone's hungry. Focus!

My dad was an avid runner and when I was a kid, he was always running. After work, he would head out for long jogs along the river levy. He even ran a few marathons but that was before I came along.

I've never been as disciplined or accomplished as dear old dad. In fact, I was probably one of the worst distance runners on our high school track team (and cross country, for that matter). That's probably due in large part to my lack of competitiveness. I challenge you, by the way, to name a sport that is as physically beneficial and simultaneously, without winning, is as enjoyable as running. I've also found that, the higher my age bracket, the more competitive I become. Yours truly is one of the fastest recorded runners (aged 30-34) in Ross, Ohio.

Learned or inherent, I got a little piece of that running thing from dad.

My running includes mostly solo runs on local courses I've mapped out using RunKeeper (which, is not posting my activities logged from my Android, ugh) but it's a nice, free app. Every now and then I'll get with some people for a group run. My runner friends are pretty casual like myself and we enjoy doing the 5k's and 10k's mostly. Since I'm home with a five-year-old most of the time, I do have treadmill that comes in handy.

Getting back to the point, the most fun I've ever had running is probably during the Flying Pig. I've ran on relay teams three times and ran the half-marathon twice. The Thanksgiving Day Race, also in downtown Cincinnati, is a close second.

One of my close friends would argue the most fun we had running was the Tough Mudder in northern Ohio last year. It was a great challenge, and I'm proud of it, but not sure if I want to go again (unless maybe I'm in better shape). We also did a mini-triathlon that I loved, and she hated. To each her own.

So that's it. I've accomplished some running milestones I'm proud of but I think every runner thinks about the marathon. That's something that requires real commitment (as in making training a top priority) and I'm just not sure I'm there yet.

Well, I didn't accomplish this post in the allotted one-minute time frame but I think it's a great topic for today, since everyone is thinking about their weight and health. Or they will be tomorrow, I mean.

1 comment:

  1. The most fun that I have ever had running was our Shamrocks and Shenanigans 5k (I think in 2009), because we got to eat Blimpy Burger afterwards!!
    XOXO Good luck on your running and writing!!

    ReplyDelete