Monday, February 6, 2012

Change of course

Sometimes, no matter how much we plan and prepare, life happens.


Monday was beautiful. I rushed home from work and into my running shoes, anxious for a few miles of crisp, evening air. Before heading out, I popped a frozen lasagna in the oven and then hesitated at the door when I realized I didn't have a pocket for my house key. I was in a hurry, and decided I'd just use the spare at my parents' house, since I would be there anyway to pick up my son.

Things don't always go as planned.

My run was quick and refreshing. I arrived at my parents' just in time so they could head out for their evening plans. Just one small problem (literally). My parents couldn't find the spare key!

Immediately, I began berating myself for turning the oven on and knowingly leaving the house without my own key. Not only did I ruin my parents' plans for the evening, I've potentially burned down a 150 year old house.

My parents, for their part, could not be any cooler about it. Just like they are about every stupid decision I make. They adjusted their plans, and searched high and low and until the spare key was found.

I've learned, especially in the past few years, to accept that things don't always go according to plan. Sometimes, we make bad decisions. Sometimes, no matter how much we plan and prepare, life happens.

And by the way, the lasagna turned out just fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment