Friday, September 11, 2009

Joe the Single Mom

I'm not one to blog about my personal life, but I've been more than a little distracted with a divorce lately. I think just feeling overwhelmed has zapped all of my energy. Suddenly, keeping up with my vivacious 2.5 year old son and going to work are about all I can handle.

In spite of everything, I can't help but smile thinking about how lucky I am. I have the most amazing family to give me advice, cook dinner, and watch out for my little guy, who is the light of my life. I have incredible friends who are always willing to listen and never judge. Having a great job doesn't hurt, either.

"Happiness will never come to those who fail to appreciate what they already have."


It sounds pretty simple, but a great family is not to be taken for granted these days. I'm not talking about having a mother and father who have been married for 40 years. If your mom and dad have loved each other that long, that's great, but as I've seen first-hand, that does little to make you a good person. It's really about having parents who are happy--whether their still married, single, or remarried--and who are a good example to their kids.

2 comments:

  1. S- I didn't know you were going through a divorce. I'm here for you if you ever need to chat!! Just know that it gets better and you'll come out even stronger than you already are!!

    :)
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes with your situation and belated happy birthday for you and the blog (I can relate to the chasing little ones around--three-year old twins here.

    ReplyDelete