Thursday, July 30, 2009

Cheers! Drink American

When I belly up to the bar or skulk the beer cave, I'm not typically searching for an American brew. In my heyday, the drink of choice was usually the "beer of month," the "quarter beer" or the pitcher special, be it Canadian, Irish, American or whatever. As my earning power improved, so did my acumen for ales (hopefully, a continuing trend).

Thankfully, the Beer Summit has brought attention to the need to drink American. Nevermind pesky issues like healthcare reform or astounding unemployment. White House spokesman Robert Gibbs speculated prior to the meeting that the President's guests, Henry Louis Gates, Jr. and James Crowley, would drink Red Stripe and Blue Moon, respectively, while the President himself would nurse a Bud Light. While I would be inclined to any of those choices, I am thinking twice now that American brewers have had their say on the summit.

Having spent several years living near the Motor City, I wouldn't dare buy a foreign vehicle, much less, park it in Detroit. Okay, that's probably the only thing that I'm dead-set buy American on. But, with so many tasty brews made right here in the states, why not make it a point to patronize them? Here are a few of my American faves:
More suggestions and info on multi-national beer conglomerates over at http://www.drinkamerican.us.%20also/Also, check out this documentary called American Beer.

"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose." -Jack Handey

No comments:

Post a Comment