Sunday, January 18, 2009

Some rain for your parade

It seems most of America is whooping it up in D.C. or reveling in the inaugural madness at the local watering hole. I don't mean to take away from the historical significance of this inauguration, and you can call me a cheapskate, but $150 million seems like overkill to me. Especially for a President-Elect who reminds us--every chance he gets--that we ALL need to be responsible and make financial sacrifices.

To be fair, Barack Obama has reportedly raised $41 million in private contributions to fund some of the inaugural festivities. (Visit the inaugural committee web site http://www.pic2009.org/ to view contributors of $200 or more.) I just can't help but ask myself how one justifies raising money for such a party when the country is seemingly falling apart, to hear some tell it. Let alone, spending our tax dollars toward it.

Think about this: maybe the company you work for needs to cut back on expenses. Do you think they are going to host the most lavish holiday party in the company's history? What if the company was more than $10 trillion in debt?

The price tag for this year's inaugural festivities is four times more than the next most expensive inauguration. I'm no mathematician, but I think that's a load of money. And to be honest, I expected nothing less from the ultimate leader in "do as I say, not as I do" politics. If Obama mentions sacrifice in his inaugural speech, I'm going to throw my shoe at the TV.

Enjoy your party.

No comments:

Post a Comment